Sometimes unique/new/daring wedding dress trends come along and we’re a little dubious.
But this is one wedding dress trend that we were all about from the beginning.
Silver, gold, copper, and bronze… we’re just mad about metallics!
Not only do metallic wedding dresses look gorgeous (and photograph beautifully!), but they feel luxurious too – and what better excuse do you have to drape yourself in opulence, than your wedding day?
If you love the idea of feeling extra special with a touch of sparkle, but aren’t sure you can carry-off a gold gown, here’s our top tips for wearing metallics with elegance…
HOW TO WEAR A METALLIC WEDDING DRESS
– Silver hues look great on paler skin tones, while those with darker or more olive skin will look fab in gold, pewter or copper dresses.
– If you’re sporting sequins, but you’re worried about looking more like a disco ball than a blushing bride, pair them with neutral shoes, white blooms and minimal jewellery. Mixing the super glam with the super crisp is so chic!
– When it comes to bridal beauty, keep it classy and play up your every day hair and make-up. Add big hair, bigger nails and too much make-up to your metallic gown, and your driver might take you to a beauty pageant en route to the church.
– Bring the metallic look into 2014, with clean lines and figure-hugging silhouettes, anything too fussy might look a little 80s.
– Metallics are perfect for both summer and winter weddings, pair with burgundy blooms and high candelabras for a dramatic festive look, or wear light fabrics, Grecian accessories and sporadic sequins for a soft summer vibe.
– If you’re not sure if you have the complexion to pull off silver or gold, opt for a rose gold gown which looks utterly romantic and works with almost any skin tone.
– Sheer fabrics go beautifully with beading or sequins, blend the light with the heavy for a gorgeously balanced look.
– If you’re afraid of going all-out metallic, opt for some gold lace or sequin detailing on your white or ivory dress to allude to the trend without diving in head first.
– Likewise, matte metallics are a chic way to ease you into the look without too-much sparkle.
– When it comes to selecting bridesmaid dresses to match, silvers look beautiful with whites, blues and greys, while gold is a little more versatile and goes great with punchy reds and pinks, elegant blacks, or romantic blush hues and neutrals.
– Not sure where to start your search? Designers like Elie Saab and Sarah Seven almost always feature a little metallic in their collections. When you’re booking bridal salon appointments, be sure to ask if they have any metallic dresses in stock, so you’re not disappointed when you arrive to a sea of white. And don’t be afraid to look to the highstreet and non-bridal designers too, for the kind of on-trend dresses you might not find in a traditional bridal shop.
And now it’s time to swoon over silver and give it up for gold, with 20 gorgeous metallic wedding dresses…
1. GILDED GODDESS
Dress by Elie Saab
2. GOLD RUSH
3. LUXE LEAFING
4. DRAMATIC OPULENCE
Dress by Elie Saab
5. METALLIC OMBRE
6. LACEY LUXURY
Dress by BHLDN
7. SUNSET SEQUINS
8. TOUCH OF THE TREND
9. ROSE GOLD ROMANCE
Dress by Truvelle via Etsy
10. RUSTIC GLAMOUR
11. SOFT FOR SUMMER
12. THE GODDESS BRIDE
Dress by Temperley London
13. SILVER LINING
Dress by Maggie Sottero
14. MAKE ME BLUSH
Dress by Elie Saab
15. IN LOVE WITH LAMÉ
16. BRONZE BRIDE
Dress by Rachel Gilbert
17. THE SHIMMERING SHOWSTOPPER
18. ELEGANT APPLIQUE
Dress by Marchesa Notte
19. METALLIC MERMAID
Dress by Sottero & Midgley
20. CUE THE COPPER
Dress by Gibson Bespoke via Etsy
I just adore a sumptuous metallic gown, don’t you? I think the sequinned ones are my favourite, but the sheer dresses are rather beautiful too. Expect to see more statement metallic dresses coming over the next few seasons (and we’ll bring them to you first!).
Tell us, would you were metallics on your wedding day?
For more glorious gowns, check out the very latest designer collections.